Experiencing a disaster, whether it’s fire, water or storm-related, is always difficult. For most people in central Indiana, the first disaster you encounter is particularly difficult because you’re not sure if your Insurance company will cover the disaster damage and if they do, how much the disaster insurance will cover. Most likely, you’re also not sure what to do first.
A Disaster Insurance Claims Process
Here are some helpful tips that will help you navigate your way through the disaster insurance claims process:
- Contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on protecting the property and conducting an inventory to ascertain what is covered by your disaster insurance.
- Contact a reputable contractor specializing in disaster restoration. Consulting with an expert as quickly as possible could reduce or minimize the damage to your home and personal belongings. You need an expert to assess the home’s damage and provide the necessary services to repair your home’s structure as well as to safeguard and restore your personal belongings. As an experienced disaster restoration contractor, Indiana Restoration & Cleaning Services will help you determine if there is damage to your home that would warrant filing a claim with your insurance provider. We will work with you and your provider to make sure your home is returned to pre-loss condition.
- Check with the fire department to make sure your residence is safe to enter. Be watchful of any structural damage caused by the fire, water, or storm.
- The fire department should see that utilities are either safe to use or are disconnected before they leave the site. DO NOT attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
- Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. If you have a smartphone, take video or pictures. Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made and approval to dispose has been given by (received from) your disaster insurance provider.
- Try to locate valuable documents and records.
- If you leave your home, contact the local police department to let them know the site will be unoccupied. If you’ve called a disaster restoration company such as Indiana Restoration & Cleaning Services, they will also board up and secure your home to ensure that no further damage is done.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to fire loss. The receipts may be needed later by the (disaster) insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
- Check with an accountant or the Internal Revenue Service about special benefits for people recovering from fire loss.
Indiana Restoration & Cleaning Services your Indiana Disaster Restoration Company
Indiana Restoration & Cleaning Services, a local Indiana restoration company, has provided disaster restoration services to the people of central Indiana since 1989! Call us now at 317-776-9942 or Click here to learn more about our financing solutions for reconstruction, repair, and remodeling construction’.